Advertising On The Network
JUSW - July 2000
A workshop session on Advertising On The Network was given
at the JANET User Support Workshop
held at the University of Cambridge on 4-6th July 2000.
The workshop took place from 17.00-18.30 on Wednesday 5th July in the
- [HTML Format] -
[Powerpoint 97 Format]
Many commercial web sites are funded by adverts. Many Universities are now
considering generating revenue by hosting adverts. But is this permitted by
the JANET Acceptable Use Policy? If it is, is it desirable to do so? What
types of advertising are there? What are the dangers in providing advertising?
If the dangers are surmountable, how should one go about implementing advertising?
This discussion group session will attempt to address these issues.
The following timetable was proposed:
- Introduction to session (BK)
- What participants want from the session (BK/All)
- Brainstorming session (in groups). What can we gain from advertising
(in its broadest sense, so can include other forms of income generation)?
What options are there? (e.g. banner ads, sponsorship deals, affiliate programs,
use of Beenz and other Internet currencies, non-network aspects such as
screensavers, mousemats, etc.)
- Exercise 1 [MS Word Format] -
Exercise 1 [HTML from MS Word Format]
- Report Back from groups (Rapporteurs)
- "Perspective From A JISC Service" Simon Jennings will talk about the
approaches to income generation which the RDN are taking. (5 mins talk, 5 mins questions)
- "History of the JANET AUP" Shirley Wood reviews the history of the JANET
Acceptable Use Policy, and summaries the current status. (5 mins talk, 5 mins questions)
- Implementing Advertising Within Our Institution.
Based on the possibilities which have emerged and knowledge of the current status
of the JANET AUP, discussion groups will now look at (a) the dangers of introducing
advertising and (b) implementation issues.
- Exercise 2 [MS Word Format] -
Exercise 2 [HTML from MS Word Format]
- The Cambridge Manifesto. Produce report for:
- Institutions on recommendations for implementing adversing
- UKERNA,JISC and JCN on institutional requirements for the JANET AUP
- Exercise 3 [MS Word Format] -
Exercise 3 [HTML from MS Word Format]
An article on
"Advertising On The
Network", based on the workshop, was published in the Vine magazine
produced by LITC, SBU.