R. John Robertson
- email: robert.robertson/at/strath.ac.uk
- skype: rjohnrobertson
- Repositories Research Officer (CETIS),
- JISC Digital Repositories Programme
- Centre for Academic Practice and Learning Enhancement
- University of Strathclyde, Graham Hills Building,
- 50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1QE, UK
- Tel: +44 (0) 141 548 3072
- Website: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/
- Website: http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/johnr/
I'm the JISCCETIS member of the Repositories Research Team. As such I have a particular interest in the e-learning parts of the programme(s). I'm interested in the challenges that managing e-learning materials bring to repositories and in how diverse tools that support learning interact with formal repository systems. I also have ongoing interests in metadata quality and ecological relationships between repositories and services.
Before working full time for RRT as a Repositories Research Officer, I was a researcher at the Center for Digital Library Research http://cdlr.strath.ac.uk. I was the project manager for the Stargate Project - Static Repository Gateway and Toolkit: Enabling small publishers to participate in OAI-based services, a JISC-funded project examining the usefulness of Static Repositories to allow publishers to expose their journal articles metadata to harvester services. http://cdlr.strath.ac.uk/stargate. Prior to this I was the project officer for the Mandate project - MANaging Digital Assets in Tertiary Education http://mandate.cdlr.strath.ac.uk, which created a toolkit to support the management of digital assets (especially administrative documents and learning assets) with particular reference to the Further Education community.
- BD(Hons), University of Edinburgh.
- MSc Information and Library Studies, University of Strathclyde.
- MCS (Church History), Regent College.
- "Digital Preservation in the Tertiary Education Sector: management implications." R. J. Robertson. Library Review. 55 (3). 2006. pp. 173-178.
- "An easy option? OAI static repositories as a method of exposing publishers' metadata to the information environment." R. J. Robertson and A. Dawson. ELPUB 2006 - Digital Spectrum: Integrating Technology and Culture, 10th International Conference on Electronic Publishing, Bansko, Bulgaria 14-16 June 2006. 2006. pp. 59-70. 
- "Stargate: exploring static repositories for small publishers." Robertson R.J. Ariadne 2006 (47) http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue47/robertson/ 
- "Evaluation of metadata workflows for the Glasgow ePrints and DSpace services." R. J. Robertson. 2006. 
- "Metadata quality: implications for library and information science professionals." R. J. Robertson. Library Review. 54 (5). 2005. pp. 295-300.
- "Optimising Metadata Workflows in a Distributed Information Environment." R. J. Robertson and J. Barton. Digital Repositories: Interoperability and Common Services, The Foundation for Research and Technology, 11-13 May 2005 , Hellas (FORTH), Heraklion, Crete. 2005.