Gabbly is a Web-based chat facility, which
can be used from a Web browser; no additional software has to be installed.
Access to Gabbly is provided on the IWMW 2006 in order for the service to be
evaluated by workshop partcipants.
Please note the following issues about use of Gabbly:
- Gabbly is provided by an externally-hosted service with whom there are no
contractual agreements. There is a danger that the company may not be sustainable
or could change its usage conditions.
- Anybody can join in the chat discussions.
- A record of the chat discussions could potentially be held by the remote organisation.
- Gabbly is an AJAX application and there may be issues about the accessibility of
- Information on the numbers and characteristics of the Gabbly user community
seem to indicate that it is a new service and may not have
sufficient momemtum to provide a stable and suatainable service.
The response to these risks is given below.
- Gabbly will be used as an experiment and users will be notified of the risks
regarding the sustainability of the software.
- Participants will be informed that the service should only be used for
information which can be read by anybody.
- Information on potential accessibility concerns will be flagged. In addition
links to a full screen version will be provided and information on Gabbly
browser extensions will be provided.