The REDm-MED Project
About the Project
The Research Data Management for Mechanical Engineering Departments (REDm-MED) Project was one of a number of projects funded through Phase 2 of the JISC Managing Research Data Programme. The project scoped, specified, designed and implemented a research data management plan suited especially to the needs of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Bath. This work built upon the team's work investigating the research data management needs of the Innovative Design and Manufacturing Research Centre (IdMRC) at the University of Bath during the JISC-funded ERIM Project and other contemporaneous work by the Managing Research Data Community.
Work completed in the ERIM Project in specifying a Research Activity Information Development (RAID) Associational Tool was taken forward by the development of a prototype tool, RAIDMap, for integration within the specified research data management infrastructure. The presumption was made that the research data management needs of the participating department would intersect closely with those of similar departments in other research institutions, not only of higher education but in the wider commercial world. Thus, the aim of the research was to implement effective and practical research data management where there was little or none and that can be adopted easily elsewhere.
The work took place in conjunction with the DCC at Bath, and with the support of the University of Bath's Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Bath University Computer Service (BUCS). The REDm-MED project was complementary to the University of Bath's JISC-funded Research 360 Project.
The REDm-MED project ran between November 2011 and May 2012.
|Innovative Design and Manufacturing Research Centre (IdMRC), University of Bath|
- Research Data Management Plan Requirements Specification for the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
10 February 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm1rep120105mjd10.
- Review of Data Management Lifecycle Models
13 February 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm1rep120110ab10.
- Tools for Research Data Management
16 March 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm2rep120110ab10.
- Infrastructure Supporting a Research Data Management Plan for the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
4 May 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm2rep120330mjd10.
- A Research Data Management Plan for the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath
23 May 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm1rep120207mjd12.
- Naming Documents for Better Organization
24 May 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm5too120520mjd10.
- University of Bath Department of Mechanical Engineering DMPOnline Template
25 May 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm5too120504ab10.
- Project Data Record Manifest Template for Research Projects
28 May 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm5too120521mjd10.
- A Research Data Management Plan for Engineering Research
31 May 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm3rep120521mjd10.
- RAIDmap Application User Guide
31 May 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm5rep120511mjd10.
- Review of DCC Tools and Guidance
31 May 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm6rep120202ab10.
- Minimum Mandatory Metadata Set for RAIDmap
15 June 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm6rep111124ab10.
- RAIDmap Application Developer Guide
18 June 2012.REDm-MED Project Document redm5rep120510ab10.
- REsearch Data management for Mechanical Engineering Departments (REDm-MED)
1–2 December 2011.Managing Research Data Launch Meeting, NCL Conference Centre, Nottingham.
- Associating Research Data Records using RAIDmap
23 March 2012.Meeting (Disciplinary) Challenges in Research Data Management Planning, etc. venues Paddington, London.
- Research Data Management for Mechanical Engineering Departments
5–7 December 2011.7th International Digital Curation Conference: "Public? Private? Personal? Navigating the open data landscape", Marriott Royal Hotel, Bristol.
Project Management Report
- REDm-MED Project Plan
January 2012.Version 1.1.
- REDm-MED Final Report
July 2012.Version 1.0.