The ERIM Project
About the Project
The Engineering Research Information Management (ERIM) Project was part of the 'Data Management Planning in Research Council Funded Projects' strand of the JISC's Managing Research Data Programme. It represented EPSRC-funded projects within that strand. ERIM was a collaboration between the Innovative design and Manufacturing Research Centre (IdMRC) and UKOLN (working on behalf of the Digital Curation Centre [DCC]), both at the University of Bath, and ran between October 2009 and March 2011.
The Project had several broad aims:
- To specify in practical terms how effective data management may best be performed within the IdMRC's research projects and, by extension, similar projects undertaken elsewhere. ERIM looked primarily at the outputs of the KIM Project, alongside exemplar engineering studies in fields such as engineering metrology and constraint management. Both technical and social/legal issues were considered.
- To explore the opportunities for and barriers to the re-use of engineering information, including the results of research conducted using highly sensitive industrial data and information.
- To explore the opportunities and requirements for the re-use of research data sets. Of particular interest was the extent to which future re-users of the data would need to manipulate them. Metrics for determining the suitability of data for re-use were investigated.
Other key deliverables from the ERIM Project were a Terminology for Research Data Management and the Research Activity Information Development (RAID) modelling technique for mapping out the contextual relationships between data files in a data case.
|Innovative Design and Manufacturing Research Centre (IdMRC), University of Bath|
Peer-Reviewed Journal Paper
- Visualizing Research Data Records for their Better Management.
May 2012.Journal of Digital Information [ISSN 1368-7506] 13:1.
- ERIM Project Final Report
- Project Data Record Manifest Template for IdMRC Projects
April 2011ERIM Project Document erim0too110330mjd10
- Project Data Management Plan Template for IdMRC Projects
April 2011ERIM Project Document erim0too110329mjd10
- Understanding the CRYMAN Project Data Case
April 2011ERIM Project Document erim7rep110314mjd10
- RAID Associative Tool Requirements Specification
February 2011ERIM Project Document erim6rep101111mjd10
- RAID Associative Tool Use Cases
February 2011ERIM Project Document erim6rep101125mjd10
- The Draft IdMRC Projects Data Management Plan
December 2010ERIM Project Document erim6rep101015mjd10
- Engineering Research Data Management Plan Requirement Specification
January 2011ERIM Project Document erim6rep100901ab11
- Thematic Analysis of Data Management Plan Tools and Exemplars
September 2010ERIM Project Document erim6rep100701ab10
- Principles for Engineering Research Data Management
December 2010ERIM Project Document erim6rep101028mjd10
- Opportunities for and Barriers to Engineering Research Data Re-use
October 2010ERIM Project Document erim3res100805tjh10
- Understanding and Characterizing Engineering Research Data for its Better Management
September 2010ERIM Project Document erim2rep100420mjd10
- Review of the State of the Art of the Digital Curation of Research Data
May 2010ERIM Project Document erim1rep091103ab11
Peer-Reviewed Conference Paper
- Data Management Planning in Engineering Design and Manufacturing Research
15–18 August 2011.18th International Conference on Engineering Design: "Impacting Society Through Engineering Design", Technical University of Denmark.
- Modelling the Development of Research Data
6–8 December 2010.6th International Digital Curation Conference: "Participation and Practice: Growing the Curation Community through the Data Decade", Chicago Mart Plaza.