Where does the public library fit in?
New Government, new opportunities
But public libraries needbooks too
Librarians as trainers andhelpers
Natural place for self-learning and training
- Government says public libraries have a role in the information society.
- Public will need new services, i.e. help in using the networks, places to learn online, places to access world wide culture. Public library must develop new services to meet these new needs. But how? What should they do?
- New Library: The People’s Network provides the answers and the vision.
- Authors of the New Library report held focus groups with the public to see what they thought of this vision:
- public libraries have a role to play in making IT accessible to everyone,
- books are still important and IT should not completely take over,
- library staff would be good IT trainers for the public,
- the library is the natural place for online self-learning to take place.
(Have you had any comments from your readers about them wanting more IT in the library?)
- New Library: The People’s Network reflects the views of the public.