The Information Society
- Information Society is one where the creation, storage and accessibility of information on a national and global scale plays a decisive economic role.
- Developments in computer networking are driving the changes that are taking place in our society.
- Implications of information society are retraining and learning new skills i.e. lifelong learning.
- Businesses compete in an international market place - need to be more competitive - need access to latest information and research.
- Government becomes more accessible - interaction between citizen and government becomes easier.
- Cultural resources are more easily available, e.g. the Louvre online or the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network. (Do you have a local museum, gallery, library with online resources?)
- So what are the implications for the public library?