Slide 14 of 23
New and exciting services but what about staff training?
- National 5 year training programme proposed.
- People’s Lottery White Paper recommended lottery money being used to train teachers and librarians in IT.
- New Library: The People’s Network recommends cover whilst people are training.
- Quality assured training programmes - NVQs, Investors in People.
- Old skills still important; identifying the right resource, customer skills, reference interview, training the public to use resources in the library. (Give example of how the new technology will use the same existing skills e.g. training someone to use the Internet requires same basic training skills as showing someone how to use the online catalogue.)
- Librarians will also be part of information society and will need lifelong learning as well.