Slide 13 of 23
The report recommends that:
- A UK-wide public library computer network will be developed.
- The network will link all library authorities together and to the Internet.
- Staff and the public will be able to access the Internet from every public library.
- Even the smallest libraries will have 3 or 4 public computer terminals plus ones for staff.
- Larger libraries could have at least 40.
- The Public Library Networking Agency will be set up to co-ordinate the development and implementation of this public library network.
- The Agency will:
- manage and channel central funds,
- provide a link between the Government and public libraries,
- establish a programme for developing new products and services,
- act as a focal point for discussions with the private sector.