The WebWatch project has made use of the following technologies:
- The Harvest indexing and analysis suite
- Perl for developing the WebWatch robot
- Locally-developed indexing and analysis software
- A series of Unix Perl utilities for analysis and filtering the data
- Excel, Minitab and SPSS for statistical analysis
The Harvest software was used originally.
Harvest is widely used within the research community for indexing resources. For example the ACDC project uses Harvest to provide a distributed index of UK.AC web resources.
Unfortunately as Harvest was designed for indexing, it is limited in its ability to audit and monitor web technologies.
The current version of the WebWatch robot uses Perl.
ACDC uses Harvest. See <URL: http://acdc.hensa.ac.uk/>