Problems with Websites (5)
Currency of information
- If it isn’t managed, how do you know?
- Move from “Last Modified” to “Valid Until” dates
- Treats information like food (“Best Before”)
- Helps promote a more active culture of maintenance
- Checking can then be automated more easily
- especially if metadata is used (but that’s another talk in itself)
- Maintainer must be identifiable and contactable
- Preferably an actual person, not just a job title
- Someone must be actually “responsible”
- The “author” may not be the “maintainer”
- No good shooting the messenger
- How often is this sort of information ever checked and enforced?