JISC Repositories Research
Research Officer (Ref 07H215A)
- To liaise with the JISC Digital Repository Programme and JISC Capital Programme Repositories and Preservation Strand Programme Managers, projects and other relevant contacts, to support exchange of information.
- To collate and synthesise project and programme outputs.
- To advise on interoperability standards and architectures, providing advice, guidance and support for - those implementing or developing repositories.
- To contribute, where appropriate, to the overall JISC strategic direction, including the e-Framework and the Information Environment.
- To maintain a wiki and/or web pages to support the outputs of the research team.
- To organise and participate in related dissemination and consultation activities.
The post-holder will be a member of the UKOLN Research and Development Team and will report to the R&D Team Leader.
The post-holder will work closely with JISC Programme Managers in the Repositories and Preservation strand of the Capital Programme and the JISC Digital Repositories Programme.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Programme level synthesis: working across Programmes and Projects
- Contributing to the thematic syntheses of programme outputs, this includes working with projects to identify and capture relevant project outputs, analysing and synthesing the findings and presenting these in an appropriate format.
- Supporting the programme evaluation activities
- Helping to maintain a collection of Scenarios and Use Cases, documented in a standard format, including UML diagrams where available
- Assisting in reviewing good practice in documenting workflows and collecting documented workflows
- Facilitating themed discussions across the Programme communities
Support for JISC strategic direction
- Advising JISC on the scope and direction of future development programmes, studies and other activities, and internal and external partnerships.
- Advising JISC on the potential for, and scope of, particular services identified as being relevant to repositories
- Supporting JISC in taking forward links and partnerships with UK and international bodies
- Contribute to and help maintain the repository ecology and typology
Interoperability specifications, standards and architectures
- Help scope existing standards and future requirements regarding standards for identifiers, terminology and factual authority, metadata.
- Coordinate work funded elsewhere, and conduct work commissioned by JISC.
- Participate in standards communities and specification development, as appropriate.
- Identify where projects are working with particular specs and standards, and draw out the lessons that might be of wider interest.
- To deal with queries from projects relating to technical standards, specifications and models and to contribute to advice in this area.
- Support a UK working group on repository interfaces.
- Contribute to identifying, reviewing and, evaluating abstract architectures and reference models applicable to repositories.
- Build relations with Information Environment and core UKOLN and CETIS work.
- Contributing to the development of the e-Framework, by identifying, collating, formatting and submitting potential additions to the eFramework emerging from repositories work.
- Maintain the Scholarly Works Application Profile, to advise on and, if agreed, undertake further work to ensure community uptake of this
Programme Level management: working with JISC and Programme Management Team
- To work with the Repositories Research Manager to develop the workplan, and relevant work elements.
- To liase and co-ordinate the work plan with the other programme activities, for example any programme supporting studies and to coordinate work with the e-Framework.
- To liase with CETIS and other JISC advisory services (i.e. JISCinfoNet, OSSW, TechDis, JISC Legal etc.).
- To work with programme evaluation and dissemination activity.
Communications and dissemination
- To contribute to a communications plan for RRT
- To help to provide a structure for projects to share information (meetings, workshops, mailing lists, wiki etc.).
- To encourage communication and co-operation between projects and the wider development community.
- To organise workshops.
- To contribute to the development of wiki and/or web site.
- To produce a three-monthly newsletter (or similar) on the team's activities and other development work in the repositories domain - relation with the RSP to be settled.
- To contribute to Programme meetings and Programme-level workshops and conferences.
- Dissemination to external meetings, workshops and conferences.
Contacts Outside UKOLN and the University
To collaborate with JISC Programme Managers, CETIS and other JISC services, other JISC staff, JISC funded projects.
To meet with programme project staff and to participate as appropriate in meetings, workshops and conferences.
The post holder will carry out their job responsibilities with due regard to the University of Bath's Equal Opportunities policy.
Terms and Conditions
These will be stated in the Contract of Employment.
Web page content by
Shirley Keane of UKOLN
Page last revised on:
Email comments to the UKOLN web-support team