The role of classification schemes in Internet resource description and discovery
Work Package 3 of Telematics for Research project DESIRE (RE 1004)
Table of Contents
Responses were received from:
SOSIG: Emma Worsfold/Debra Hiom
NISS: Oren Stone
BUBL: Dennis Nicholson
OMNI: Sue Welsh
We would like to include your service in a review being carried out by the
EU-funded DESIRE Project, and would be very grateful if you could
answer a few questions for us.
DESIRE is surveying the use of classification schemes in Internet Information
Services, and I am aware that you are currently using the UDC (Universal
Decimal Classification). Please could you answer the following questions
and return them to me? Many require only a yes/no answer so I hope it will
not take up too much of your time. Many thanks!
1 ) Have you had to pay for the right to use the scheme, or to 'publish' it
2) Do you have a version of your classification scheme in electronic form?
(Either a complete version , or an abridged version
- are you able to give a URL?)
3) Have ever made use of the fact that the scheme
is available in different languages?
4) Does your service integrate the classification scheme with other systems
such as a thesaurus or controlled subject headings?
5) At what level of detail do you classify?
6) What do you consider to be the strengths of the scheme in relation to
its use in your service? (i.e. Why did you chose
this scheme as opposed to others?)
7) What do you consider to be the weaknesses of the scheme in relation to
its use in your service?
8) Have you found any strengths/weaknesses of the scheme in particular
subject areas? (i.e. is it better for some subject
areas than for others?)
9) Are there any other points you would like to make
about your use of a classification scheme?
Many thanks for your time.
|Next||Table of Contents|
Page maintained by: UKOLN Metadata Group
Last updated: 14-May-1997